Wednesday, August 25, 2004

A little strange

So, this lady comes into Skein today while Ann Mary is having her lunch. When I asked her if I could help her find something she said, "You had a shawl on display when you were in Arcadia. Do you still have it?" I asked her if she could be a little more specific.

"No, I can't. I remember it took two balls." Well, we've only ever had one shawl that fits that description. "No, I remember it was kind of triangular. And I don't think it was this yarn."

I drug out all the shawls I could find and none of them were the right one. Turns out that the first one I showed her was the right one after all. It's a very simple garter stitch rectangular shawl. I don't know what Ann Mary said to her to convince her but I was glad she came back to take over.

Just out of curiosity, what do yarn shops in your area charge for lessons? Are they private lessons or are they more or less drop in? Skein charges $15.00 for an hour and a half. And it's totally drop in. Now, I think this is very cheap. I've seen prices in Los Angeles that are in the $30 to $45 range but I think that's for one on one.

I had a new student this afternoon that came in to have me figure out where she was on a baby blanket she hadn't touched in nine years. I told her the price ($15.00) and said that it was for up to one and a half hours. It only took me a few minutes to figure it out and she stayed long enough to work one row of the pattern. She expects to come back and use up the rest of her hour and a half. I told her it was the same as at the doctor's office. You pay the same price, no matter how long you're kept waiting in the consulting room. I don't think she saw the connection.

What do you think? Should she be able to come back and use up the remaining time? I could, of course, make it take longer to solve her problem. Her yarn wasn't even from Skein. In fact, we've never seen her before.

No comments: