Monday, August 25, 2003

Starting over

Well, I got most of the intarsia part of the Christmas stocking done and decided it was really terrible. Ripped that out and am going to duplicate stitch the design. The yarn in the kit is pretty awful. Ann Mary says it's a craft yarn. But I think duplicate stitch will make the thing less wonky.

I've been fussing and fuming the past few days over what to do with all the stuff I have accumulated. I don't think there's any way I will ever use all the yarn in my stash and I keep getting more. Most of the stuff is in cardboard boxes so I can't even see it. I'm thinking of getting some of those plastic coated wire storage units that I've seen popping up around the blogs. I don't know if I have enough wall space for the amount I would need. But I'll get a few sets and see how far I get.

A bigger problem though is what to do with all this furniture. My condo is pretty small. Most of what I have would be loosely described as Federal but I also have several pieces that are American Eastlake. Now I'm very big on an eclectic look but these two styles just don't work together. It's like trying to combine an Aran knit with Fair Isle. I'm not willing to part with anything.

I mostly blame my friend Robert for this. Before he started his current pet grooming business he was an interior designer. Very big in the Palm Springs area doing winter homes for wealthy midwesterners. Lots of chrome, glass and white lacquer. By the time I met him he had stopped designing but was and is still very into decorating. I had never paid much attention to stuff like that. It didn't take long for me to get addicted. Robert is of the more is more school. At one point I had five sofas which even Robert thought was a bit much. I don't have any sofas now but I have way too many chairs.

I don't know what I'm going to do just yet. Something has to go! But I'm going to start over with the stash. Maybe the loom and spinning wheel can find new homes.

No comments: