Monday, October 20, 2003

Miserable

That's probably overstating it. I just got home from the dentist where I had yet another tooth extracted. I'm still numb so I don't know how I'll feel later. Right now I'm fine except I can't eat anything yet.

Yesterday was a madhouse at Skein. Noisier than a sports bar on a Monday night! I think it was a good day in sales as well as in the teaching department. Had a few people who just needed a little reassurance. Then one of our regular students called and wanted to know if it was all right if she came in. At the time I wasn't really busy so I said sure. What I didn't know was that she was bringing three people with her. None of whom knew how to knit. And she's not experienced enough to get them started. They wanted to learn to make dish/wash cloths. How hard could that be?

One of them couldn't stay but the other two could. They chose yarn that had to be wound first, adding to the confusion that was already going on. Then one decided she'd rather make a top than a dishcloth. It's hard to describe what it feels like to teach two absolute beginners how to cast on, knit and purl and to read a pattern in the space of half an hour. Actually I ended up staying a half hour after closing to get them to a point where they could continue. I think they're all into some other kind of needlecraft so they weren't intimidated, just awkward. The lady who brought them in isn't confident at all and still gets confused between a knit and a purl stitch. She's going to be their only resouce for the next few days. Ann Mary and I had a good laugh over that.

No comments: