Friday, October 10, 2003

In through the front, run around back...

I had a new student yesterday. That's not big news. I get new students all the time. What made this one memorable was how much trouble she had. I've only had one student who gave up entirely. This one is not going to but I may give up teaching.

I'm pretty sure she has some emotional or psychological problems that are getting in her way. She seemed to blank out in mid stitch and just not be able to remember what she was supposed to do next. Literally! She seemed to do better when she thought I wasn't watching her.

For most people I cover the knit and purl stitch, casting on and casting off during the first session. Sometimes I do less if the student is having trouble. We're still on the knit stitch here. She wants to make one of those things you wear around your neck, with fringes. You mean a scarf? Yes. And I want to make a purse.

While all this was going on, one of my other newer students came in so I could check and correct some of her projects. This lady is having some problems of her own and is beginning to despair of ever getting it "right". I think it did her a lot of good to see someone who was having more difficulty than she was. She was very sweet and encouraging to the new student.

Last night's knit together was a lot of fun. Those three hours go by so fast! I'm still trying to recruit a couple more people. Brought home a bunch of rugula and cake which is a good things since I keep forgetting to buy more Slim Fast. You gotta have something for breakfast.

About an hour after the new student left she called me to find out what she was supposed to do. I tried to describe the steps. Well, I'm on my cell phone so it's kind of hard to do it. Can I come in tomorrow? So that's what I'm looking forward to today.

No comments: