Monday, October 27, 2003

Jeans and genes

If this keeps up I'll have to get a whole new, larger wardrobe. I just got home from lunch at Moustache Cafe in Westwood, courtesy of one of my students. And she has at least three more restaurants she believes I should try. And for the past few weeks I've been brought all kinds of snacks and meals plus some wine. This is all good for my budget but not so good for my waistline. Three pairs of jeans this morning have joined the stack of clothes that are now too small. Something's gotta give. It may be a seam.

Skein was packed from start to finish yesterday. Two people from my past showed up. One I hadn't seen in a couple of years, the other one is more like seven or eight years. It's was hard to play catch-up given how busy the shop was but we managed a few words here and there. Almost always a delight when something like this happens.

The three sisters showed up again about half way through the afternoon and brought one of their daughters to learn to knit. They were each having their own problems with dropped stitches and accidental yarn overs. But it all went fairly well. The new knitter did quite well. It seems to me that the younger students have fewer problems than older ones. Or maybe some people just have more crafty genes.

I don't remember having any problems when I taught myself to knit. I learned from a book. It just made sense to me. I'm the only one in my family who can do this or who does anything art or craft related. My mother could sew and I remember her doing some crochet when I was young. But she only did this under duress. So where did it come from? I don't know enough about my family history to know if anyone in prior generations had any interests in this area. I hear more about people learning from their grandmothers than from their mothers. Ann Mary always says it skips a generation. I don't know. Maybe it's all just a fluke.

No comments: