Thursday, December 05, 2002

I've been spending more time at Skein this week. It's really busy. I'm not getting as much knitting done as I thought I would but it is so neat to be able to help the customers make their selections and to get them started. But I am so tired when I get home in the evening. It's pretty draining to be "up" all the time. So I've just been working on some miscellaneous small items. More hats, of course.

I finally got a hat started with the merino/possum yarn that I think is going to be all right. I was getting a very large, loose stitch when I switched from knit to purl in the ribbing. I started purling through the back of the loop on the first purl stitch and that seems to have been adequate to fix the loose stitch. I worked three inches of K2/P2 ribbing and then changed to stockinette with five cables (2/2 back cross, 2/2 front cross) evenly spaced. When I get there I'll do a gradual decrease until I'm down to about 8 or 9 stitches and then fasten off by pulling the tail of the yarn through the loops. I'm happy I finally found something to do with this wretched yarn.

I'm also happy that the Staples ad "controversy" has finally ended. At least on the KnitU list. Now, if they'd just stop the charts vs. narrative pattern discussion.

I think I'm in some kind of pre-holiday funk. This is my first Christmas since I retired. I think I miss all the brouhaha. Maybe I need to get out and mix with the shoppers. Or do some baking. I really appreciated Annie's comments about the holiday season in her post today.

Tonight is bowling and I'm supposed to be cleaning house in preparation for Lisa's visit tomorrow night so I better get going.

No comments: