Monday, May 29, 2006

When I was a kid there were still people around who referred to this holiday as Decoration Day. I think Memorial Day was just coming in to vogue. And it was always on the thirtieth of May. I don't think I really knew what it was all about except that it somehow had to do with people who had died in battle, primarily in the War Between the States. And it usually meant the end of the school year.

Of course, nowadays, its original significance has been lost and it's more of a reason for a three day weekend for most Americans. Except for those who have to work to make it possible for everyone else to enjoy the extra day. It's a weekend for sales at most retailers and auto dealers. And an opportunity for politicos to hype their points of view.

Listening to the radio this morning I heard the announcer say "Happy Memorial Day". It struck me as a strange greeting. Happy just isn't the right adjective. At the end of the program the same announcer wished us all a "meaningful Memorial Day". That seems more appropriate.

Since I don't work on Mondays having a holiday doesn't affect me. Well, except we generally get together and knit for the Dulaan project. We're not doing that today as many of our group are away or are spending the day with family. I'm staying home, working on some socks and ruminating way too much.

No comments: