I got started on my Chulo last night. Twice! I thought I needed the hat to be a little bigger. I seem to know mostly people with large heads so most hats that I make need to be enhanced. The size in the book, Andean Folk Knits by Marcia Lewandowski, seemed like it was going to be too small.
So, rather than make a swatch, which I usually do, I just cast on with a needle two sizes larger than the pattern specified. I managed to get the stitches twisted and tried to correct that at the end of the first round. That turned out not to be such a good idea. When I pulled the hat off the needles I could at least tell how big it was going to be. Very big! I put it on my head and it fell straight down onto my shoulders.
So I've started over, using the needle size specified, and I think it's going to be okay. Maybe not for the intended giftee, although that would be good, but for someone. I sure hope those earflaps can be brought under control by the crochet edging that goes on at the end. I'm using different colors from those in the book. That green just isn't something I could tolerate working on. If this works out I'll have enough yarn left over to make another one if I switch the main color to be the accent etc.
I'll get to spend some more time with the Chulo tonight. Skein is closing at six today instead of the usual eight. And tomorrow, since I don't have to do anything but bring the wine, I'll have time to maybe finish it.