Monday, June 16, 2003

Post Father's Day Post

Saturday was a very busy day at Skein. It had been alarmingly slow all week but Saturday was jammed. I worked with several new knitters. So I didn't get much time to spend with the group of knitting friends that came in. Taught a couple of ladies how to work with dpns. They were so excited and felt so advanced! But I had to convince them first that the premmie hats they wanted to make could not be made on circulars, even though the pattern called for them.

Sunday was not as busy even though I had a table full of knitters. Mostly they were there for the socializing. The first one to arrive made some made some very negative comments about the shop sample I'm working on. She thought the yarn was just too fuzzy for an adult and that it should only be used for children. She went on and on. I told her that not everyone would feel the same. Almost immediately there was another customer who thought the sweater was just the coolest thing she'd ever seen. And then another knitter came in who is using the same yarn. Well, I guess you had to be there. But she kept her opinions to herself even though we were both secretly laughing.

Since it was Father's Day the conversation included some reminiscences about our fathers. I'm afraid I got a little carried away in talking about my dad. I got a little more emotional than I am want to do. Still feeling a little embarrased. I had to change the subject very abruptly. Our memories of other people are often memories of ourselves. Our own feelings and recollections of what we experienced at the time. So talking about my dad, and what he was like as a father, really stirred up a lot of stuff that I don't always enjoy remembering. (Which I have no intention of going into here.) There are a lot of things I would like to have done differently in my life. I wish I had spent more time with my daughter when she was growing up. I wish I had been more aware. Omissions can cause as much damage as overt acts. I love my daughter. She is my chief joy in life. And she's a lot like me.

Unlike life, knitting can be revised. I've decided to rip the last pair of socks and redo the heels. Not a lot of progress on anything over the weekend. I started a new pair of socks using some Patons Paint Box sock yarn. I like the color a lot but I cast on too many stitches and the sock was going to be way too big. So that's been ripped. Anyway, I just wanted to see how it would look knitted up. And now I know.

No comments: