Thursday, June 05, 2003

My memory isn't what it used to be

My blogging experience is suffering a lot these days. I am still not able to read comments or, in most cases, able to connect to any of the links in the blogs. I tried going through the Knitters ring last night and got part way through when everything sorta stopped. That's when I have to CAD (control, alt, delete) to get restarted. Anyway, I feel like an eavesdropper not being able to participate actively. I can go over to my MSN browser and read comments but I still can't respond. If I try to send email from there I get sent back to SBC Yahoo or sometimes everything freezes. I never know which it's going to be.

So anyway, last night I was checking my email and getting ready to sign off when there was this perky knocking at my front door. It was the UPS man delivering the additional memory I had ordered. I think it was already about 7:30. So, I'm thinking WOW! I can do this tonight and everything's gonna be fine. Not so!

Gateway sent me two boards with 128 each. Turns out there is only one slot available in my PC. So I call them up and ask them to send me a new board with 256 on it. No problem but I have to wait until the morning to call the sales department to do this. So I put everything back together and move the desk back to the wall.

Talked to sales this morning and they tell me that they don't have a board that has 256 that will fit my computer. After I tell the guy that I'm supposed to be able to have up to 512 he checks again and, sure enough, they do indeed have what I need and they even have it in stock. And furthermore, he's not even sure that what they sent me would have worked in my computer.

So the bottom line is that he's sending me a board with 256 and I'm sending the other two back. That will be another week. I'm feeling very apprehensive about this whole transaction. Still wondering if I should have just gone out locally and purchased what I need. But now I'm thinking if I use something other than a Gateway product and it blows up my computer I won't have any protection. So I'm just going to wait for the new board.

But it's not all bad. I can now read in about an hour what it used to take almost three hours to do. Now I can add more blogs to my daily reads.

Skein was frantic yesterday afternoon. Everyone comes at once. And I was sort of on the edge of coming down with something. (Whatever that was went away after a couple of hours. Ann Mary said it was an allergy, or food poisoning.) So after I got everyone sorted out and settled down things got a little better. I was so happy to see Mendy again. She brought in a couple of skeins of yarn that she had purchased elsewhere (it's okay, Mendy.) and we put together a couple more shawls. And special ordered some colors we did not have in stock. I didn't have time to touch my own shop sample project until the very end of the day and only got a few rows done. No sock knitting at all.

A new grandmother came in just before closing. She's Vietnamese/Chinese. It was a lot of fun to listen to her and Ann Mary discussing how new mothers should be fed and cared for. They definitely don't approve of the modern ways. They should have at least a month of bed rest and be fed lots of chicken made with wine and vegetables. And someone else should take care of the baby except when he/she needs to be fed.

No comments: