Thursday, March 10, 2005

How long is permanent

How long is permanent?

I have a bunch, probably thirty skeins, of Reynold's Paterna yarn that is labeled as mothproof. I wonder how long moth proofing lasts. I've only had this yarn for about twelve years. I got some of it out last night to make this hat for my next Dulaan project project. (Thanks, Bonne Marie.) Everything was fine for the first three rows then the yarn broke. It looked like a nice clean break so I just picked up the new tail and kept going. Pretty soon though, it appeared that the yarn had been pretty well sampled by some hungry moth or other fiber loving creature. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll probably rewind each skein and examine them for damage and see what I can save. I thought the label said "Permanently Moth Proofed" but in rechecking I find it doesn't say "Permanently."

In other knitting related news. I will be permanently, however long that is, adding Wednesday night to my class schedule. That's the night that Skein offers crochet classes in addition to knitting. The current Wednesday night teacher has decided that her main job as a yarn rep doesn't leave her any spare time. The only problem with this is that I don't crochet enough to feel confident about teaching it. And I'm not sure I want to expand in that direction. First I'll have to find a crochet teacher for me. I've asked Ann Mary to change her presentation and tell people that we don't currently have a teacher for crochet. It would help if I liked the look of crochet but I don't so I'm not much motivated to take it up.

Let's see. In addition to the hat that I tried to start I also started a pair of socks using some Sockotta that I bought today. Worked on those tonight at Thursday night knitting. I just finished ripping four rows of pattern because I wasn't paying close enough attention. This is sure happening a lot lately.

No comments: