Thursday, February 02, 2006

Double aargh!

Double aargh!

It's not always my computer's fault when things don't work right. I spent the first two hours of today talking with my good friend Sean over in New Delhi trying to figure out why I couldn't connect. We tried everything he could think of until he finally concluded that it wasn't my computer.

So then it was over to Lucy. I don't know where Lucy is. She says that Sean shouldn't have sent the call to her but she would schedule someone to come out and check out their line, at no charge to me. Then Lucy sent me to Sabrina who works in Northern California. Sabrina tells me that in fact there's a problem with SBC in my area so I should try again in two hours to connect. Which I did. And everything looked fine. So I went shopping.

I had already gone to Best Buy and purchased the new computer. It's sitting, with all its constituent parts, in the middle of my living room where it will remain until Sunday when Lisa will come over and help me get everything transferred and set up.

Anyway, when I got home from my second shopping trip I tried to connect and found that my phone was dead. So nothing worked. Went next door and called the phone company people who are the same as my DSL people. The whole process is automated and takes about half an hour to get through. So someone else is supposed to come out, but not until tomorrow, to see what's wrong with the line. I call Ann Mary to let her know I may be late tomorrow.

So back home to putter around since I can't read my blogs or email. A knock on the door. It's the guy from SBC to tell me that he's there to see what the problem is. I tell him great, but the phone is dead. "I know. I've been working on it." So he gets everything fixed and promises to tell the phone company to cancel the Friday appointment. I hope he doesn't forget. I called Ann Mary to tell her I won't be late after all.

Went to Thursday night knitting. I was early so I decided to wait in my car. I went to sleep. The next thing I know Mendy is banging on my car window afraid that I've had a stroke or suffered a heart attack. Actually I'm just tired from all this back and forth and the frustration of not having a computer that works right. You're probably just as tired of hearing about it.

In knitting related news. I seem to have lost one of my size 11 needles that I was using to make the feather and fan scarf. I really hate it when that happens. And it does seem to be happening a lot recently. But it's not as bad as I thought. I thought it was one of my Brittany size 13s. Those are home safe on the table. Not in the needle case where they belong. Maybe I need to pay more attention and put things away when I'm done with them. I've never tried that.

No comments: