Friday, February 25, 2005

Oscar who?

Oscar who?

So, it's Oscar weekend. There's a lot of hype and hysteria over the Oscars here. It is, afterall, what this part of the world is all about. Movies and movie making. And that other, lesser god, television. I'm not a movie going person. I think it's been at least three years since I went to an actual movie. And probably that long since I've even rented a video. And I never watch television, unless there's a new war.

This week I'm listening to all the music that has been nominated for an Oscar. The local public radio classical station has been playing everything that has been nominated and having the composers as guests on various programs. The problem with movie music is that is sounds so, well, like movie music. I go to a lot of concerts of contemporary music and much of it sounds like it was written for a TV movie. You can tell from the music that there's going to be a corpse showing up soon.

Since I don't go to movies it's hard for me to relate anything that I'm hearing to it's setting. Right now I'm hearing the music from that Mel Gibson movie, the Passion or something like that, and it's so elevatorish. Generic feel good stuff. "Walking on water." Sounds like it could have been used for "Umbrella of Cherborg" or any other sappy love story type movie.

I'm feeling a little cynical tonight. Can you tell?

We got the new Rowan R2 yarns and magazine today. I made the mistake of actually reading the copy in their magazine. Really awful. "Marketing is your friend." Lisa frequently reminds me. What a pile of drivel! Imagine a whole line of yarns that are designed to tell you how to be unique and different. With patterns. Lots of faux-grungy graphics and gushy jargon. Maybe it's just me, but I think the designs are awful. Don't buy the book, but if you get the chance, check it out. I'd like to know what you think. (I see I've used "awful" twice. Feel free to substitute "atrocious" if you like.)

We also got some more of the Box of Scarves and a book called something like "Knitting from the Top Down for Toddlers." Both are way more worthwhile. And some kits for shawlettes that are cute and fairly quick to knit. I'm supposed to be making a shop sample. I'm going to go work on my Yukon socks instead.

No comments: