Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Flat Earth

Flat Earth

A long time ago, five or six centuries, most people believed that the earth was flat. And some people apparently still believe it. It doesn't matter whether these people believe it or not, the earth is not flat.

I have never believed in copper bracelets or magnets for therapeutic use. I have some copper bracelets that I wear sometimes because I like them. Now, I still don't believe in their healing powers but I don't have as much pain in my wrist as I did before I started wearing the bracelet every day. So the question is: does the bracelet work whether I believe in it or not? Or is it just because I haven't been knitting as much recently as I was during the pre-holiday rush to get everything done?

I used to work with a guy who swore by his copper bracelets. He was a golfer and never went without the bracelets, one on each arm, and told me he no longer had any pains. Another friend saw me wearing a bracelet and said "I hope you know those things don't work."

So I wear the bracelet, not believing in it, but have a lot less pain. Go figure.

Actually, I haven't had much time to knit since the beginning of the year. It has been so busy at Skein that even though I take out my current project it usually just stays there. I'm currently working on another multi-directional scarf using Araucania wool. (It's too dark for a picture.) People are fascinated. I got three people started on their own today. And a couple more who say they're going to make one as soon as they finish their current project.

No comments: