Monday, September 20, 2004

Technology

One of the many things I like about knitting is the simplicity of the technology. A couple of pointed sticks and some kind of fiber is about all you really need. There are other things that ease the process: a swift and yarn winder, some markers, a row counter, stuff like that. But all you really have to have are the yarn and needles. Most of this stuff is readily available either from a specialty store (LYS) or on line for many of us or a craft store such as Michael's. With just these basic supplies you can amuse yourself for hours and have something to show for it.

I spend several hours a day sitting in front of my computer. Well, I guess it's really the monitor. I don't understand the technology. I can push and click and make things happen but I don't know why they do. And when there's a problem I have no one to turn to to help me fix it. What's really bad is when something happens that I don't think I caused. Many of us are familiar with the blue screen that tells us we didn't shut down properly etc. I'd love to shut down properly if my computer would let me. It just doesn't want to do that.

I've been having some trouble with my DSL connection too. Sometimes I'm just booted off. No idea why. At least with knitting I get to stop when I want to. Nobody just comes and takes it away from me. And I can usually start up again without getting a lecture about how I shouldn't have put it down that way.

Now I hear there's this new thing called Bloglines. Lots of bloggers are praising it and I'm pretty sure it's a good idea. But I have no idea how to begin. And while I'm at it, what's a RSS, or is that RRS?

The thing about knitting is, you can start with some basic information and that's all you need. Knit! Knit! Knit! With computers though, at least for me, you have to learn a whole bunch of stuff just to access the Internet. Now I'm supposed to know what they're talking about and they're using all this jargon and acronyms. I'm not satisfied to be "just making a scarf" when I'm knitting and I don't want to be at the same level when it comes to me and my computer. Sometimes though I think I should just stick to my knitting.

No comments: