Friday, May 31, 2002

That was exciting! Just watched the Lakers pull off a win. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the final game. Going to dinner at the Old Ship, an English pub, but maybe they'll have American TV.

One of my customers at Skein brought me a bottle of wine today. Merlot. One of my favorites. It's nice when people do things like this. A thank you for all the help.

I really like this lady. She's 89 years old and is such a hoot to be around. She's the only one who has my home phone number. Right now I'm helping her with a vest for one of her grand daughters. I usually make patterns for her using my Sweater Wizard program. They're actually pretty easy and could probably be done on scratch paper. But she likes the idea that they're done on the computer. And since she frequently changes the finished size she wants to make, it's a lot faster to just change the specs and print out a new version.

Another customer, Carole, came in for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. She just comes to visit and let us all know what's going on at the school where she works. I'm finally beginning to remember who all the characters are in her drama. We've done a couple of yarn shop hopping trips together. And one night we went to a street fair. She's almost perfected the "tough old broad" delivery.

And then there's the lady from Whittier. I don't think I ever knew her name. She comes to see me every Friday or Saturday so I can count her stitches and make sure she's still working the pattern correctly. After three weeks she's just completed the 7th row of a baby afghan. She's made the same pattern 4 or 5 times before, she says, and never had so many problems. But she's a good sport and we have a lot of fun joking about her confusion.

Saturday's crowd is on average much younger that the Friday people. We'll just have to wait and see. The shop is pretty busy right now, compared to our expectations. We got a few of the new fall yarns this week plus some new pattern books. I'm thinking of buying the Rowan Junior book, even though I have no one in this age group to knit for.

During the game tonight I worked on a garter stitch scarf that I started several months ago. I got quite a lot done but had to stop to untangle the yarn. It's made out of scraps from an old sweater. When I raveled the sweater I had no intention of reusing the yarn so it was just loose in a box. Now it's become a roiling mass of green, blue, purple and some other stuff that I don't know how it got into the box.

No comments: