Friday, December 21, 2007

High winds and home made holiday stuff

Talk about your bleak mid-winters! It's not only cold here but the winds have taken over. The palm trees are in such a dither that I thought it was rain, hard rain. I hope the oranges aren't blown off the tree.

Thanks for all the good wishes for Patrick. They worked. He's back to his usual brush-begging self. We've already played chase at least once this morning. Mendy said I could keep the carrier since Patrick liked it so much. I have to find a place for it since it's pretty inconvenient having it sitting in the middle of the living room. Maybe it would make a good footstool though.

The pecan pie was a success. It looked pretty and tasted even better. Not many people showed up for knitting night so we got larger pieces than we might otherwise have. And it made a perfect birthday cake for Renee. The shop holiday dinner was fun even though a number of people who had said they'd be there didn't show up. I had pork tenderloin with Gorgonzola sauce. Tasty but a bit overdone. Like the pork chops my mom used to make.

I finished another holiday gift. A hat using a pattern from Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron. I like this book even though most of the pattern instructions are flawed. I got a couple of skeins of organic alpaca and have enough left over to make another hat. Perhaps foolishly but I think I'll have time before Christmas. I still have all those ends to weave in on the gloves. Maybe today while I'm at A Stitch in Time.

Now for the recipes.

Zucchini, Nut and Raisin Bread

Makes two loaves.

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups raw zucchini, grated
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

Beat eggs until fluffy, add sugar, oil, zucchini and vanilla. Mix well.

Sift dry ingredients together. Add to egg and zucchini mixture. Stir until well blended.

Add nuts and raisins. Mix lightly.

Pour into two lightly greased and floured loaf pans. (9 by 5 inches).

Bake one hour at 350.


Pumpkin Bread

Makes two loaves.

1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons soda
1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin
3/4 cup chopped nuts ( I usually use walnuts.)

Cream oil and sugar in large mixing bowl.

Add eggs and beat well.

Sift flour with other dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture, alternating with pumpkin. Add nuts and mix well.

Pour into two well greased 9 by 5 inch loaf pans.

Bake for one hour at 350F.

3 comments:

Monika said...

Mmm pork chops with Gorgonzola, I remember at some point in my life, I had this, I'm quite sure...
thanks again for the recipes, will give them a try. Merry Christmas, happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

thanks much for the recipes...

If I don't see you (or even if I do), please have a wonderful Christmas - and stay warm - it's cold out there!

R.

mehitabel said...

Had to chuckle over your pork chop comments! The first time I fixed pork chops for my husband (back when we were newlyweds) he was late coming home for dinner and the chops were dry and hard and a little burned. He loved 'em--said they were just the way his mother made them!