Monday, November 13, 2006

I didn't know until just yesterday that mismatched socks are a fashion trend. Lisa tells me that packages are available that include three socks, two that match plus a third one that doesn't. Who knew?

The sock on the right was knit by one of my students, except for the toe which I did for her. The one one the left is the one I'm knitting to go with the one she knit. She started her sock last year with the intention of giving them to her one year old daughter. She's going to give them this year instead.

Because she's pregnant and her hands are too swollen for her to knit she asked her husband to see if I would finish them. She's from Taiwan and speaks no English beyond hi, goodbye and thank you. Her husband sits with us when she takes a class and translates. He's actually pretty good at it. I think he knit himself when he was younger. Anyway. I asked him why she was making mismatched socks and he just shrugged. "It's just something she wants to do."

The socks have a longer than usual leg because they're supposed to be slouchy. Another fashion note of which I was unaware.

No comments: