Friday, July 07, 2006

I really need a new camera. I tried five or six times to get a decent photo of these socks and this is the best. These are Mendy's Birthday Socks. I had started them a long time ago and when Mendy expressed her love for them I determined to put them away until now. You thought maybe I knit these this week?

I used some Plymouth Sockotta and a stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. Thank you, Ms Schurch. I even Kitchenerd the toes for a change and this time the graft looks pretty good. Still need more practice on that.

We had a lively time at Thursday night knitting. A bigger than usual crowd. We even borrowed some chairs from across the sidewalk so everyone would be able to sit. There were some people we don't get to see often enough. I think they came not just to knit but to pay tribute to Mendy and her hospitality and graciousness. I don't know about everyone else but I don't get much actual knitting done at these soirees. But they're very restorative. I've started a new pair of socks and worked on them last night. I had to rip a few times as I kept missing the beginning of the round and forgetting to change the pattern. Plus, I think these socks may be too big.

I stopped by Unraveled on the way to Mendy's. I made another swatch for them using some Terra from The Fibre Company. It's lovely. 60% merino, 20% baby alpaca and 20% silk. It's also expensive. I'm thinking that with the discount I get for making the swatch that I could get a couple of hanks but that wouldn't do me much good. I have until the end of August to decide. Maybe I should just get some more sock yarn.

We're going yarn shop hopping today. Not sure where all we're going but I know we'll be stopping at Unwind in Burbank. Finally, a chance to see the Great Wall of Sock Yarn. I'm drooling already.

No comments: