Monday, July 18, 2005

A conflict of interests

A conflict of interests



I'm doing some swatching for a new shrug pattern and I'd like to get a lot of this done today. I also have a copy of the new Harry Potter book. Which to do. Which to do.

Actually I started the swatching yesterday while I waited for my daughter Lisa to arrive. And I started reading the new book after she left. I didn't get very far because I couldn't stay awake. Too much pasta and wine plus the heat and humidity.

I'm not one of those knitters who can read and knit at the same time. And, unless it's pretty easy knitting, I don't try to knit and talk at the same time. Since I have to do laundry this morning I'll probably opt for the knitting and save the book for when it's really too hot to go back and forth to the laundry room.

I managed to break my sewing machine. I used to sew at lot but haven't done much for years and years. My machine belonged to my mother originally. I bought it from her sometime in the late eighties. I think I've only used it once or twice since then. I have had it serviced, maybe five years ago. But anyway. Lisa wanted to do some slight alterations to some blouses she bought so I got everything set up. And the first one went just fine. It was when I needed to fill a bobbin with a different color that things went wrong. I didn't set up the bobbin winder correctly and now I think I have a jam in the bobbin feeder. I'll have to see if I can take it apart and get out whatever I managed to jam. This is not a top priority. I really felt bad that Lisa couldn't get her stuff done though.

I've been a little slow at Skein for the past few days. So I've been trying to finish some of my scarf projects. And I'm trying to crochet a cloche using a pattern from the new book Fun and Funky Crochet by Sophie Britten. I know how to do the stitches but I have some problem with reading crochet patterns and things like joining and turning at the end of the row and where to start the next row. So I got this book which seems to be pretty good at explaining things. I've crocheted hats before but they were just spirals so you didn't have to be careful to keep track of where the rounds began. This one, if I'm interpreting correctly, is supposed to join with a slip stitch at the end of every round. Sometimes I'm okay and sometimes I'm off a stitch or two. So there's a bit of faking it going on. I don't think that will work though if I try something more complicated.

No comments: