Monday, May 02, 2005

Shrug it off

Shrug it off

It all started because Alissa mentioned that she was going to make a shrug and was going to use one of the patterns that can be downloaded from Interweave. So, I thought, that's a good idea and should go pretty quickly. I also thought it would be a good thing for Lisa to wear in her air conditioned office.

I have some Classic Elite Poet. I've had it a long time and it looked like it had the appropriate gauge etc. that would be perfect for the shrug that I'd chosen. It wasn't. After a few hours of knitting the long, long rows for the sleeve ruffle, and starting the sleeve itself, it became painfully apparent that the yarn was way too heavy and the gauge was just not a match. So, that yarn has been rewound and is still waiting for the right project. And besides. Lisa says she doesn't really need a shrug for her office.

I really want to make a shrug though so I'm searching the stash for the right yarn for one of the other patterns, or maybe the same one. I have lots of choices so something should work out.

Since I couldn't make the shrug I cast on for the Conwy socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road. I'm using some Lana Grossa Meilenweit Cotton Multiringel. I didn't think to check the yardage requirements or gauge. I've tried to make this particular pattern before. It's pretty easy and straight forward. The first time I tried it I ripped it out because the yarn was too dark for the cable pattern. This time I ripped it out because the yarn is too heavy and I don't think there's quite enough yardage. So I'm making a plain ol' pair that will probably be better anyway given the self-striping nature of the cotton yarn.

I'm going to work on the socks until it's time to go pick up my car. It's been a couple of weeks since I have had to go see the mechanic. This time it's not the motor or anything vital like that. One of the door locks quit working yesterday. I had to tie it closed, using my belt, so that I could drive home from the market. The lock has to be special ordered and won't be in for a couple of days. So the mechanic is fixing the current lock at least to the point that the door can be closed. I hope I remember not to open it until the new lock is installed.

No comments: