Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dark before the rain

Dark before the rain

It's dark here. Five o'clock in the morning dark. Even though it's already eight thirty. More than one person has commented about how odd the weather is this year, at least for Southern California. It's not supposed to be raining this late in the year but it is. Maybe we'll break the record for most precipitation in a single year. It's going to be very close and if the thunderstoms predicted for today actually materialize we should be good for the gold.

But all this rain and gloom does not make for good picture taking. And I don't have a lot to photo anyway so I'll just wait until I finish something. Like the second of the current plain ol' sock. I finished the first one on Wednesday morning. That's the quickest I've ever made a sock. Started on Monday and finished on Wednesday, all in the same week. I have cast on for the second one. I'm not superstitious but why take risks. I read somewhere that it's bad luck to not start the second sock immediately after you finish the first one. So don't finish a sock if you don't have time to start the second one as soon as you've woven in the ends of the first one.

I do have a second pair of socks in the works, the Swizzles that I started a few weeks ago. I'm about half way through the gusset of the second sock. I was sort of saving this for teaching heels but no one showed up that was interested in making socks so I just spent part of yesterday working on it. Didn't make much progress as I was super busy for most of the day. And that was without the Monrovia Moms. No, they didn't show at all. Maybe Friday.

Skein has some Second Time Cotton from K1C2. I've been wanting to do something with this yarn ever since it came in. I have to say it's not moving off the shelves very rapidly. I think only one person has bought any and that was just a couple of days ago. Anyway. I like the idea behind the yarn. Recycling cotton fiber that didn't make it through the first cycle. I think it would be considered "virgin" if things were still labeled that way because it's never been used. I have noticed that when I'm knitting at Skein and people get to see how a yarn looks once it's worked up that sales pick up. I'm making a summer top for Lisa but I will work on it at Skein and see if that gets more attention for the yarn. Not enough progress yet to photo. Plus, there's the dark and rain I mentioned above.

No comments: