Wednesday, November 26, 2003

TGI Thanksgiving!

Is that redundant? Anyway, I'm looking forward to this holiday more than usual. I don't know why. This year it just seems extra special. I'll be having dinner with my friend Robert. It'll be late I'm sure by the time he's ready to serve. Usually it's 9 or later.

That leaves me most of the day to be at home and enjoy the benefits and blessings of my life. I'll probably spend a lot of time knitting. Since we won't be having our regular Thrusday night knit together I plan to spend at least two hours on the poncho and some more on the holiday gifts.

It was a lot busier at Skein than Ann Mary expected. I went in early again. I began by picking up stitches for an out-of-town knitter on a botched cast off. One of those extra fuzzy Multi-Fizz yarns from S.R. Kertzer.

Where did the idea originate that it's okay to leave a mistake when you're working with fuzzy yarn? A dropped stitch is going to run eventually even if you can't see it right now. And accidental increases will make your scarf wider, and even wider if you keep doing it. This one started at 24 stiches and ended up at 41. So she's going to have a trapezoidal scarf because there was no way she was going to start over.

And the day just got busier from there. I think there were more people in the last hour though than there was the rest of the day. And they were buying! I guess some of them thought we'd be closed for the weekend. Are your kidding? Most of them were just getting stocked up for a four day knitting binge, scarves mostly. I was teaching a new knitter how to do the elongated (drop) stitch even after we closed. So, Ann Mary has plenty to be thankful for, and so do I.

No comments: