Tuesday, May 18, 2004

What's your social?

There's something about this that really bugs me. It's not that I don't know what it means; it's more like "What's wrong with saying Social Security Number?" There's just a hint of something slightly off color about the way it sounds to me. Or perhaps it suggests "social class" or "social disease".

I had to go to my bank a few days ago to close my checking account and open a new one. (Don't ask. The answer isn't pretty.) The guy that was helping me just asked me, "What's your social?" I knew what he wanted but for a moment I was thrown. And yesterday I had to go to the local Social Security Admininstration office to give them my new account number. At least the lump receptionist asked for my social security number so I felt somewhat mollified and vindicated. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past when conversations were more than a string of acronyms and "you knows".

So, how's that for an opening? On the upside, though, I do have my new checks and new debit card so I'm back in business.

I didn't get as much knitting done yesterday as I had hoped. But I'm almost done with the gusset stitch decreases on the second sock. Nothing on the cabled sweater or any of the scarves. And I'm going to a concert tonight so the only knitting will be what I can manage at Skein. That will depend on how social things are.

No comments: