Tuesday, March 23, 2004

A day without knitting

is like a day without sunshine. And both things happened today. We've been so busy at the new location that I haven't had time to work on anything, not even a sock. And we had no sun today. It was dreary and drizzling for most of the day.

And then tonight I went to another concert by the Southwest Chamber Orchestra. The first half of the program was a song cycle of poetry by Bertold Brecht as set to music by Hans Eissler. (Eissler was one of the first people to be deported during the McCarthy era.) Very stressful stuff but beautifully sung by Kathleen Roland. The second half of the concert was a transcription of Anton Bruckner's Seventh Symphony. Only nine musicians instead of a full orchestra. It was quite amazing. And they had a harmonium. Not the kind they use in India but a full scale real harmonium. I'd never seen on of these things. Apparently the one in use tonight is one that was restored by a local artisan and is the only one around here. It's being shared by all three of the major orchestras here. I tried to find a picture but all I came up with were the Indian ones and they look sort of like an accordion. These look more like a large reed organ. Well, I thought it was interesting.

I took the Gold Line again. It is so much easier than driving Downtown. But it takes longer. So no knitting tonight. Maybe in the morning before I go to work.