Thursday, October 24, 2002

Went to Skein yesterday so I could have some company while doing the finishing on the cap I made for a shop sample. Like a lot of people I don't like finishing but I find it more bearable in the company of other people. So anyway, that's done and it's cute. While I was there I looked at the new Vogue Knitting. (It really bugs me that my copy hasn't arrived and the stores already have them.) I didn't see anything that really interested me but maybe when I get my own copy I'll find something to like about it.

I also looked at the newest XRX book, The Knitting Experience, by Sally Melville. This is a good enough book for beginners and for folks who like garter stitch. Some good photos of techniques and such. I can see it moving well among the knitting groupies.

My books arrived from Amazon. Christmas Stockings, from Interweave Press, edited by Elaine Lipson. I don't know why I like this book so much. I don't even knit socks and have no need for a Christmas stocking, but I find some of the patterns fascinating There are several that I want to try. Haven't really focused on the details of the instructions as yet but at a glace they seem pretty straightforward.

I also got Folk Vests, by Cheryl Oberle. I bought this sight unseen. I already have her book Folk Shawls and really enjoy just looking at it so I was pretty sure I would like this one too. And I do. These are challenging patterns. Think I'm going to start with the XO cardigan.

I've been reading Zen and the Art of Knitting by Bernadette Murphy. This was a gift from one of my students. I would never have bought a book like this. I will probably not finish it. First of all, I think the title is a cheap shot. Secondly, I don't think knitting is all that meditative. There is just too much sweetness and light in this book for my tastes. And another thing, the type size and the margin widths tell you right away that there's not much content but they managed to make it big enough to look like a real book.

Well, that's about it for now. Not feeling very charitable right now, but I promised the American Institute for Cancer Research that I would help out by mailing some letters for them. Now I find out that I'm actually supposed to be collecting money for them. This is irritating me but I think I'll go ahead and do it.

No comments: