Tuesday, June 18, 2002

What to post about? It seems like nothing has changed in the past couple of days. But there are a few things.

Yesterday I finished about half of the front on the Sage sweater. I should finish today and maybe get it put together tomorrow. This is a cute little shell but kinda boring to knit after the first couple of repeats. I want to do a three needle bind off but I'm not sure if this will work for this sweater. There's no finishing on the neck, just the bind off. I'm not sure if I can make this look neat. Guess I can always rip it out if I don't like it.

About twice a year I go to a weaving show and sale with my friend Joanne. This is a good place to pick up yarns not usually available in the yarn shops. Some of the vendors have web sites but there's nothing like seeing the yarn live. Anyway, I bought some merino/angora blend a couple of times back. I made a shawl for Lisa with part of it. Now I have a lot left over so I'm trying to find a way to use it that would show off the variegation well but would be interesting to knit at the same time. So last night, while watching PBS, I tried out several different options. I still want to do some more but I think I will definitely use some cables. Maybe some double moss stitch. I'm probably going to start with a long vest. I'm not sure how much yarn I have left so I'll try to create something that will allow me to add sleeves if it looks like I have enough when I get to that point. I've been knitting a lot of simple things lately. Now I want to do something a little more challenging. Plain knitting puts me to sleep. The issue though is that I like the look of simple sweaters, especially the Berroco designs. What to do, what to do?

I was watching Masterpiece Theatre while I played with the stitches. I think this must have been a rerun but I had never seen it. Oliver Twist. I don't know how I escaped it. I've never read any Dickens, even though my BA is in English. So I guess I'll have to visit my local library and see what I've missed. I couldn't always understand the dialogue because of the mumbling and the various accents. I didn't see the first episode so I want to get all the background.

Went to the market yesterday. Bought a huge bag of Roma tomatoes that were on sale. Since these tomatoes were already on the way out I thought I'd better do something with them right away. So I peeled and seeded them and made a chunky pasta sauce. I was very pleased with how it came out as I just improvised. Not something I do very often. I'm a slavish recipe follower. Someone told me to put a pinch of cinnamon in fresh tomato sauce. I got a little too much I think, but it does add a mysterious trace that isn't easy to figure out. Anyway, I have lots of sauce in the freezer. Do you have any idea how long it takes to scald, peel and chop 51 tomatoes?

No comments: