Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Just one more yarn shop hop. Today, after wandering futilely around Mission Viejo when I should have been in Laguna Hills, we finally got to The Yarn Lady. What a great shop! I think they must stock every color available in most of the most popular yarns. A large bookcase filled with eyelash in everycolor and glitter combination. A wall of Colinette hanks. If you want to see how something works up there are many, many samples lining the walls. Not simple little things but full blown complicated sweaters. A serious selection of books and magazines. They are known for their semi-annual bag sales. They take everything that has been discontinued and stuff it into plastic bags and put them out in the parking lot at 50% off. I've seen photos of this event and it's not for the timid. I bought some
Cascade Sierra, a cotton/wool blend. I think I like the color but seeing it in natural light is a lot different from the artificial light in the store. Should have checked first but I got carried away.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to start another round of yarn shops with my friend Joanne. Probably go to some of the same shops since she hasn't seen a lot of these. But she's also a weaver so we'll probably pick up a few shops that are more oriented in that direction, depending on what I can find.

Spent the evening at Joanne's along with Anita who is working through her first intarsia project and is progressing quite well. I worked a swatch in some Sirdar Tropicana that I bought a few weeks ago. It's 100% acrylic but feels and knits like cotton. I think I need to go down a needle size though. Bother!

No comments: