Friday, May 09, 2008

Using stash



Apparently I'm not the only one who does this. I tend to hold on to what I think of as my special yarns. I keep waiting for that special, just right, project to come along. So I end up with lots of yarns that never go anywhere.

I don't remember where now but I read someone's blog a couple of days ago where this very thing was being discussed. The writer's point was that it's silly not to use what you already have. There will always be more yarn and more projects. And it's rare to find that perfect match. I know it is for me. I tend to forget what I have in stash and find it much easier just to buy something new.

Anyway, I started this new scarf yesterday, using some special stash. This is Schaefer's Kathleen. I only have one hank of it. I've had it for at least four, maybe five, years. I've been waiting for the right project to come along. The color in the small photo is more accurate but the large photo at top gives a better idea of what the scarf will look like. I found the pattern on Ravelry. The one hank I have has the same yardage as the original pattern but the Kathleen is heavier than the yarn used in the pattern.

I like it. It's playful and it uses one of my special yarns. So that's a good thing.

6 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

I, too, am a champion hoarder. I can hoard other things... food, clothing, you name it.

Sometimes I break through and it feels good. Congrats that you found a good way to do it for yourself.

LynnH

Monika said...

That's a fun looking scarf! I think your special yarn is perfect for it.

Bess said...

Wow! I love those colors - I'm glad that special yarn is getting a chance to show off.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf, Larry, for a very beautiful yarn. I can see why you bought it way back when.

Joan

Bess said...

My goodness - I love those colors all over again! Real news will come soon. Hugs

lexa said...

That's very true. I do the same thing, keep the yarn waiting for something special. A lot of the time I end up not using it for what I had originally intended anyways!