Monday, August 04, 2008

Saying no

I used to have a spinning wheel. I used to have a lot of the stuff that goes with having a spinning wheel. But I didn't use any of this stuff very often. I finally just gave up that particular craft and got rid of everything spinning related. I needed the room for the other addiction. So, you see, I really must say no.

This past Saturday I went to Unraveled where Janice Rosema was holding forth. I called my friend Thom to let him know there would be some roving available and well as a chance to view and try the Mach 1 wheel. (I don't have a link and I'm not sure there is one.) Thom has recently started spinning and has already purchased three wheels. He doesn't do things by half-measure. The Mach 1 is a fascinating wheel and has some features that would really enhance the time spent spinning.

Anyway, it was exciting to see all the rovings and batts and different fibers. Janice spins a lot of what she calls art yarns or fibers. They're imaginative and playful. She had a small drum carder with her and demonstrated how she uses it to combine a miscellany of fibers to create some very colorful rovings. She also demonstrated the wheel.

I did not give in to the temptation to try it. I don't want to get another wheel and start all over. But it was hard to say no. I finally had to walk away and go sit in another room and work on my sock. I'm just not going to spin.

But I did hear about a class for new spinners and returning spinners. It starts next month and isn't very far away and doesn't cost very much.

5 comments:

Monika said...

I'm spinning just over a year now, and I too have already 3 wheels. One is so old, I don't use it at all, but the other two are used constantly. If I weren't spinning already, I would start now. Right now I'd rather spin, than knit. It really IS an addiciton. I know how you feel. It's a pity that you don't want to give in. ;O) I'm sure you would be good at it! Maybe just go to the class, to see if you really like it ?

Hannah said...

Mom bought a wheel, did it twice, then proceeded to buy two more wheels that have not been opened from the packages they shipped in. Maybe there's a 12 step program from Thom and my mother.

Janice Rosema said...

You avoided falling into the vortex this time but resistence may be futile! You are getting sleepy, very sleepy... spinning is in your future, you will love it....

Thom was such fun and I can see that he has a lot of enthusiasm for anything he jumps into doing. It will be interesting to watch his spinning addiction grow and blossom! It was great seeing you on Saturday!

Bess said...

Ooooo - you know, KittyBoy wouldn't mind a trip to California if there were someone who wanted to play with him......

Fay Lynn said...

Help me be strong like you. I am afraid I am not going to be able to resist this if it is in the store!